Here are a nice appearing true pair of Beesley Standard Grade (Best) SLE with Sir Joseph Whitworth barrels and an interesting history. (How’s that for a zeugma!)
Built in 1900 for the Hon. Lucius O’Brien, the pair was acquired by L. Pilkington in 1936 from the Beesley shop at 2 St. James. As is shown by the stamp on the case label, this gun was sent back to AG&L , the firm that purchased F. Beesley in 1939 from Frederick’s son Herbert Phillip, probably for an annual service, possibly as late as the 1960s, when AG&L was still at 7 Bury St.
The Pilkington family owned at least 30 Beesley guns over several generations.
For more information, contact:
12901 Cabela Dr.
Fort Worth, TX 76177